<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 29, 2004

I was thinking about death again, as I am wont to do.

If, as before, "me" as a concept is a collection of electrical signals, and thus an idea, and ideas never die...

...and when someone goes comatose, they don't remember anything when they wake up except for dreams; and thus, after they are knocked out, they feel that they woke up immediately after...

...and, when I die, my neurons go cold and their material disperses...

...and the only thing connecting "me" from five seconds ago to "me" now is my memory...

...when I die, will I immediately wake up again as somebody else, or will I just die and not think anything ever again? And, by some freakish chance, if I reincarnate as me with my personality and memory, will I feel like I just woke up from a slumber that began when I died, or will I feel like I just got my memory back after living thousands and thousands of lives, unaware of it?

Damn! I'm thinking about this too much. You know, Buddhists do have something going for them; your existence on Earth being one of many incarnations does make a bit more logical sense than this existence being a trial for spending eternity in Heaven or Hell. But, here's what I think... it makes me sad to imagine that pure data would ever really die. However, if time is merely a fourth dimension of space, then it has no significance and all data in the universe is available for anyone with a four-dimensional webcam (now available at Radio Shack)... perhaps I could be brought back by aliens who are so advanced, they consider reincarnation to be something they do on weekends just for kicks. I really, really hope that, when I reincarnate, I will have blue hair, and Rhyth's headset from Jet Set Radio. I also hope that I will wake up naked in a big steamy tube and the aliens will all say, "Look at Leticia! She is so beautiful, I could just eat her!" And then they do, but I give them bad digestion.

See? It works.
Comments:
You know its a bit scarey, but I recently had a daughter and was thinking about reincarnation as well. While holding her and looking into her eyes, I sometimes get the feeling there is someone very intelligent, in a babys body trying to get out and say something. The only problem is they cannot control their body properly and it all comes out as babbling and arm flailing. Its a person reincarnated, who still remembers, but can't tell you about it!

I thought it might be that as the baby grows older, the memory of the former person fades away, until it is completely gone.

Thats the way I thought about it. Eating at the end though just doesnt really work for me.
 
>four-dimensional webcam (now available at Radio Shack)Radio Tesserack

for all your multidimensional needs. purveyers of fine TRS-8Ds
 
Your post reminds me of that Spielberg movie about the android kid. I can't for the life of me remember the name of it, but yeah, the aliens do reincarnation as an archaeological hobby. I'm not making this up. Kinda a sweet movie.
 
Your notions of death are beautiful.
But if an identical collection of electrical signals was amassed (to your brain), would it be you thinking? Or would it be someone else identical thinking? Because... I mean would it be like you're in their head or would they be 'autonomous'?
It's not really answerable.
I think... It's difficult. For that moment someone with exactly the same thoughts and memories would exist, so the notion of self would be confused. Like... I think that you would both be the same but in different places. And because of that you would be different in microseconds. But... Would 'you' have control over the other you's being? Just by being identical? Or would you grow apart?
Or how about if someone reconstructed you, twice? Which brain would you be controlling? Or maybe you're not controlling any brain, and instead you just experience it with the illusion of choice. And in that case, maybe you'd experience both brains.

But who knows... Any thoughts?
 
Hm. Been thinking about that one. 'Experiencing' something would give rise to the thought of a constant identity, which is what we've already ruled out.
So I think... You would just wake up and be in two places at once... But then the stimuli would affect you and so you'd be different people in a second or two. And... It'd be weird to think which was the real yo.
And I think it'd feel like... Hm
Which one would you control? Both I think... But.. Argh too late. Fantastic post
xox
 
In Star Trek, they transporter actually works by creating a copy and destroying the original... that always made me sick to my stomach.

I wander if Captain Kirk has those philosophical quandaries as he makes those ridiculous poses...
 
I reckon we come back as ourselves again and have to live the whole thing over again - OMG, what a depressing thought!

If I was going to be eaten, I'd want to give them a good dose of the sh*ts at least.
 
Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)
 
Hey Babys.
Looking for a name?
Come and check out my website :)
http://www.themalloftheworld.com/cgi-bin/repcart/CatalogMgr.pl?cartID=3&user=108135513700006&template=Htx%2Fcatview.htx&SearchField=keywords&SearchFor=Baby+names&Submit=Search
 
Hi All

Just wanted to invite everyone to my blog Hoodia and Review to read the articles posted there.. http://hoodiaandreview-zbdN.blogspot.com And to post your own articles and or comments on what you think the best Hoodia Products are. Give us your Success stories..What hoodia side effects works best for you
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?